Kindle Fire Comparison to help you choose the best Kindle Fire model that fits your unique requirements and budget.
First take a look at Kindle Fire Comparison Chart below and get familiar with specifications and features of different Kindle Fire models.
Kindle Fire Comparison Chart
|Features||Kindle Fire||Kindle Fire HD||Kindle Fire HD 8.9″|
|Size (L x W)||7.44″ x 4.72″||7.6″ x 5.4″||9.4″ x 6.4″|
|Thickness||0.45 inches||0.40 inches||0.35 inches|
|Weight||400 grams||395 grams||567 grams|
|Screen size||7 inches||7 inches||8.9 inches|
|Resolution||1024 x 600||1280 x 800||1920 x 1200|
|Processor||1.2 GHZ||1.2 GHZ||1.5 GHZ|
|RAM||1 GB||1 GB||1 GB|
|Storage||8 GB||16, 32 GB||16, 32 GB|
|OS||Android 4.0||Android 4.0||Android 4.0|
|Battery Life||8~8.5 hours||10~11 hours||Not Disclosed|
|Speakers||Stereo||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital|
|HDMI Out Port||No||Yes||Yes|
|Network||WiFi||Dual Band WiFi||Dual Band WiFi|
Next, we are providing below a Kindle Fire comparison summary, highlighting the major differences between different Kindle Fire models. This should help you further refine the selections and lead to a Kindle Fire Model that best suits your requirements.
Kindle Fire vs Kindle Fire HD | Main Differences
Here are the main differences between Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD that should help you decide whether it is worth spending an extra $40 in order to go for the latest Kindle Fire HD.
- Resolution – Kindle Fire HD provides high quality HD display
- Speakers – Kindle Fire HD comes with the latest Dolby digital speakers
- Battery Life – Kindle Fire HD has a bigger battery that provides more battery life
- TV Connectivity – Kindle Fire HD has HDMI-out port for watching movies on TV
- Storage – Kindle Fire HD offers higher storage than Kindle Fire
- WiFi – Kindle Fire HD operates on Dual WiFi bands for faster Internet connectivity
- Less Glare - Kindle Fire HD has anti-glare technology for reduced glare
While the base model of Kindle Fire($159) is probably the cheapest tablet in the market, Kindle Fire HD in our opinion is a better choice due to its HD quality display, faster WiFI, and HDMI-out port.
Kindle Fire HD vs Kindle Fire HD 8.9″
In case you are reading this section, you must be wondering whether to go for the 7-inch display available in Kindle Fire HD or go for the bigger Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ that offers an iPad like 8.9″ display.
- Resolution – Kindle Fire HD 8.9″offers a higher 1920 x 1200 resolution
- Display – Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ has a bigger 8.9″ screen
- Processor – Kindle Fire HD 8.9 has a faster 1.5 GHZ processor
Due to the huge success of Apple’s iPad, the bigger 9-inch form factor was considered as a gold standard for tablets. However, the success of Kindle Fire and recently Google’s Nexus 7 tablet has clearly demonstrated the growing market for 7-inch tablets.
Whether to go for the 7-inch form factor or the bigger 8.9″ Kindle Fire is purely a matter of personal preference. The bigger model costs a $100 more and offers a comparatively faster processor and 1080p HD display.
Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ vs Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ 4G
Now that you have come so far and still reading, you must be wondering whether it is worth having an ultra-fast 4G connectivity in a tablet.
- Connectivity – Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ 4G offers instant on the go connectivity just like your mobile phone.
- Cheap Data plan – One time payment of $49.99 gets you 250GB/month for 12 months, nothing can get better than this. In comparison, a similar data plan for iPad 3 ($799) will set you back by $230.
Apart from 4G connectivity there is practically no difference between Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ and Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ 4G tablets. Both models offer the same 1080p true HD display, 1.5 GHZ processor and the same features.
As mentioned above, the cheaper base model of Kindle Fire ($159) does not make much sense considering that $40 more will get you a complete HD tablet with HDMI-out port for connecting to you televisions big screen.